Jan 9th-15th 2012 Punk News.

Last month I hit the most views ever on my blog, by double, and then this month I ran out of ideas.

Then I came up with the idea of bringing back the Punk News thing that I was doing for The Skinny Magazine cause it was a fun format, and kept things recent. Going weekly? That's what I've spelled out in the title, ok, let's see if I can stick to that.

#1 Punk News! An article where I spell out some good punk (and what not) type gigs in the city, along with band news and views in the world of good music. With an exclamation point on local, but sometimes stretching out into news of the more mainstream variety. Always easier to make fun of that crap.

And might as well start with that right now. The At The Drive-In reunion from this morning was upstaged by the Refused reunion from this afternoon. Looks as if someone uploaded the first look at bands playing the Coachella festival this year. Wait, did I say bands? I meant reunion acts and DJs.

First Black Sabbath announce a new album, next they announce that Tony Iommi was diagnosed with lymphoma. I'd hate to make the connection that working with Ozzy causes cancer, but someone's gonna say it eventually.

And in Vancouver music Baptists starts recording their first full length album with Stu McKillop at his newly built Rain City studio. Exciting stuff considering Baptists' 7" was one of my favourite releases of last year.

Speaking of favourite releases of last year; The Jolts' 8% released on Sudden Death records rates high on the list. They will be hitting the stage of The Astoria on Saturday Jan 14th joined by the B-Lines and there was something about a Pointed Stick. Before the show they will be playing the Bloodied but Unbowed punk rock documentary. So if you want to see some footage of the Vancouver punk scene from the 70s and 80s you better be there early.



On Friday Jan 13th Soundcity Hooligans, Scarebro, Men at Adventure and Siren Songs play at Funky Winkerbeans. From what I know Siren Songs are a cool female fronted punk type thang. I've never heard Men at Adventure but with a name like that I always seem to picture The Village People in my head. Scarebro have the guy from Bison, but they don't sound like Bison at all. He's also the guy from S.T.R.E.E.T.S. but they don't sound like them either. They sound like SHIT! Just kidding. I had the pleasure of seeing them play The Biltmore last year and they absolutely killed it. It could very well be his coolest and definitely his punkest project to date. Oh and Soundcity Hooligans are from Kamloops. Social Distortion styled three piece that bring some anthemic drunken punk songs to the table.

In breaking news the singer/bassist of The Wrecktals loves eating at Bons, but he hates smoking pot. I don't know if it's actually breaking, but throwing it out there regardless.

Blondewich put new songs up on their bandcamp site! http://blondewich.bandcamp.com/album/bleached
They seem to have matured their sound a little bit, with the lyrics revolving more around boys and less around partying. Blondewich is an all girl band so they're allowed to do that. Not that an all boy band isn't allowed to, but I just wanted to clear that up.

Black Amps hit the stage of the Media Club Friday Jan 13th with openers La Chinga, and Birds of War. I hope for their sake the name Warbirds was already taken, or else they sure don't know how to name a band.

Thanks for reading! Come back next Monday for another edition of this garbage.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Vancouver Bands That I'd Love to See Play A Reunion Show.

BISON bc @ The Rickshaw June 18th 2011.

THE WINSTON CAMPAIGN - From Rags to Riches.